Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sculpture Digital Journey

Project 1: Sound Suit

After quite a bit of thrown out ideas, our group finally decided to build a sound suit that represented the likeness of a peacock, both in appearance and sound. We used greek mythology to inspire the look and conceptualization of the suit.


Stencil work for the feather detail... unfortunately time wouldn't allow us to recreate the "hundred eye" look from the myths.


Started adding google eyes to help clarify the concept, and jingle bells to add to the sound.




Attaching the tail to the body.


Finished!


Peacock hat I made... composed of painted paper, cardboard and tape. The crest was made of pipe cleaners with sewn in jingles bells to add to the sound, and finished off with real peacock feathers. 





Neck piece used to conjoin head and body sections in a more realistic manner. I made it out of paper, tape, and spray paint... and again, threaded on more bells for sound.

Project 2

Automata

I decided to remain representational with the following assignment, and after much deliberation, determined what I thought was the most time/cost effect way to recreate what I was visualizing- a mountable octopus with gear activated individually moving arms. If only I knew what I were getting myself into.




Video of finished automata


Picture of gearwork


Detail photo of mechanism that opens and closes the treasure chest.

I ended going through three separate variations of gears until I was capable of making something that would actually function. I had never worked with wood before so I learned loads by the time this project was through.

Project 3

Narrative

After scrounging around for objects (a necessary routine for two of my classes this semester) I managed to gather enough Star Wars merchandise to reenact a movie scene in miniatures. I decided to switch things up though by incorporating other items... for the sake of a more though-provoking piece. My process in doing this was recorded earlier in the blog. 


After collecting and building my narrative (again, look below for more process) I started to built the frame for my altar. I made a wire frame, then laid clay over it's surface to create the raised groundwork. I crackle-painted the altar frame and poked individual christmas lights through the clay to represent altar candles. From there, I added thrift store jewelry for treasure and tiled the altar walkway. 


Next I built a fabric shroud for the altar. I would age this fabric later...




Here's a walkthrough video of the finished altar. Loads of fun to make and very easy to get lost in. Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment